Thursday 4 July 2013

DUOS/U - Decreasing Units of Satisfaction/Usefulness

More is always better. The saying, while true to a certain extent does not apply to everything. The usefulness and the satisfaction an item brings diminishes as the quantity of that item increases.

Take for example your clothes. Say you are currently naked and you go to the store to buy a set of clothes. The set of clothes would be extremely useful because it keeps you covered and protects you from the cold. If you bought 2 set of clothes, it would still be mightily useful because it allows you to remained clothed while you are washing the 1st set of clothes. Now fast forward to the 100th set of clothing. How useful would that set be? I highly doubt it would bring about much more use or satisfaction then the 99th set.

This applies to everything else, even money. ( Yes, that's right, I said money..so shoot me.) Only we ourselves would know what is enough. Spending $1000 might allow you 100% satisfaction, however, spending $5,000 might not get you 500% satisfaction. Most likely, it will be along the range of 101% to 200%.

If we stop and make the decision to cut out spending on things that brings us little value, we would be able to save the money and use it for things which will bring us maximum satisfaction. Rather than spending on the new tablet with a larger screen size, why not spend it to see a loved one smile. A nice dinner or a short getaway perhaps.

What are the things you continue spending on or doing that are producing diminishing satisfaction and usefulness? Are you ready to take the next step towards life by cutting down on these? Please do share your experiences.

As always, save more, spend less and invest wisely.
P.

4 comments:

  1. I have stopped now but IT gadget used to be my weakest link. netbook, laptop, iPad 1, iPad 2, smartphone, Macbook air.

    Now I can live well even I just carrying a Nokia basic phone( come with torch light, and radio, important tool during emergency).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I doubt I could live with a basic phone. I'm way too reliant on my smart phone, especially in socially awkward situations. Haha. I'm cutting down on my reliance and urge to purchase though. Recently won the war against the Samsung galaxy note 8.0.

      Delete
  2. Hi RSG,

    Blogging is one thing that is under this category for me, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Maybe you exhausted your ideas after so many wonderful posts. Who knows, after some inspiring event, you might come back with even better posts to give us and yourself continued satisfaction. =)

      Delete