Thursday 17 October 2013

Early Retirement plan Step 3 - The talk with the anti-financial HULK

This post is steered more towards couples, but I'm sure there are stuff anyone can pick up on.

It's perfectly true that opposites attract. That's what bring about the spice and excitement in relationships. We humans are curious creatures and find joy in dissecting and finding out how the other person ticks. I for one love talking to my wife to find out why she behaves the way she behaves or talks the way she talks. The problem is that she does not take it the right way every time, resulting in her morphing into the anti-finance Hulk.

Sure there are times where I may have layered my questions with other obvious intentions, but I swear that for 99% of the time, I really do just want to find out more. If you have been reading my blog, you will know that the major difference my wife and I have is our perception of time and money.

My wife has no qualms about trading her time for money which in turn would be traded for stuff she likes. As for myself, I prefer not to trade my time for money. Money is in a way, an infinite resource as you can earn it back almost every time. Time however is a very very very limited resource. Once it is spent, you can never get it back ant the worst thing is that time is automatically being spent whether you like it or not.

I'm always trying to impart my beliefs to my wife with hopes that one day she would see the error of her ways. =)

Anyway, back to the topic before I lull anyone to sleep with my incessant chatter on my views - call me if you have insomnia and I'll finance chat you to sleep.. free of charge*. Terms and conditions apply.

So, as I was saying, one of the steps that you will definitely have to take before proceeding on your journey towards an early retirement is to have the talk with your other half. The reason as to why many of us have yet to do this is because we are uncertain about what our other half has to say and this uncertainty leads to fear.

Let me tell you this. The situation is what it is. Whether or not you have the talk, your other half will have a certain view about it. They might be supportive of your choice, or extremely adverse to it. The problem is that you will never find out, thus continue living in fear and ignorance which in the end leads to you not carrying out what you seek to achieve.

I say talk to your other half about what you have in mind, tell them your plans and how you plan to carry them out. - You obviously should have a damn good plan before even considering this right? If they support your choice, great on you. It's a burden off your chest and you can have an extra head in helping you think of ideas to generate more income.

If they are not supportive, at least now you know and can think of ways to convince them otherwise. Show that you can achieve financial stability without a 9-5 job. Show that you will not be a burden to them -( I feel that many do not agree to your choice as they are afraid that you will not be able to support yourself after retirement thus becoming a burden.) and most of  all, let them know that this is what you really want.

Since you made a choice to be together, you have to learn how to work together. Every different situation warrants a different game plan. There are 1 to retire, 1 to continue working kind. There are the 2 to retire kind and there are also the typical 2 to work till 65 kind of couple out there. Whatever your situation is, discussing it out openly is almost always the best choice. Do it in a relaxed environment and remember, don't get too agitated.

How is your situation like? How old do you plan to retire and on roughly how much? I would love to hear more from people with these kinds of situations out there.

As always save more, spend less and invest wisely.
P.

No comments:

Post a Comment