Monday 20 May 2013

Just.One.More.Dollar

Dear readers, somewhere along the way, roughly in the past 2 years, I have come to realize something. Sometimes, the extra dollar saved is not worth the sacrifice you have to make. Yes, I know that every dollar counts but there must also be a limit to how much we can compromise our lifestyle and the lifestyle of those around you.

After achieving your set target for the month, saving those extra dollars will not bring forward the earlier retirement date by much. I would say at most a year or two.  Now let me ask you this, would it be worth it to sacrifice for the next 20 years or so just so that you can retire that one or two years earlier? I say no. I do not want to compromise my current lifestyle too much for that. You must know when enough is enough.

What I think we should do is to create a smooth path, one that we enjoy all the way till the end. In moderation of course, and not one where we have to suffer first and enjoy later. In everything we do, we have to think about the people around us, our spouse, our children or our parents. It does not mean that if you do not mind the suffering, they won't mind it as well. They might be appearing to do so just because they do not wish to let you feel disappointed. Spare a thought for them, and if you can afford it, spend those extra dollars to make their day brighter and happier.

I guess this will be a short post. Got so many things to do, so little time.

Anyway, I hope we will not be so overly obsessed with savings that we forget the reason to which we are saving or neglect our loved ones.

As always, save more, spend less and invest wisely.
P.

6 comments:

  1. A timely reminder. Tks!

    R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a tradeoff. It depends ultimately on how you view that tradeoff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi B, I feel that I am not willing to compromise 20 years of my life to not work for 2 years. Its too little benefit. Might change my mind when I get sick of working maybe..10 years down the road though. Would you do it?

      Delete
    2. Hi RSG

      I would do it actually but on luxury items. On the other hand I definitely wouldn't compromise it on food, family and happiness. They are far more important than anything else.

      Delete
  3. It is good to do year-end budgeting for the next year to avoid over-save and under-spent as we only live once before we realize that it is too late to spend even though we have plenty of money left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, but its like a war within myself. Half really wants to enjoy as much as I possibly can. The other half wants to save as much as I can so as to retire earlier or have more safety margin. I'm trying to satisfy both. How do you guys do it? Especially those that have kids and want to give your kids and want to give them everything.

      Delete