Wednesday 8 May 2013

When Was The Last Time You Felt Happy?

Dear readers, what is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of the words happy and satisfied? Take a few moments to think about it. I'm pretty sure that many things come to mind, but there is something missing in most of the images and you cannot put a finger to it. Could it be that in most of those things do not bring about true happiness and satisfaction?

Now, narrow those thoughts down to just experiences with friends and family, take away material purchases. Think upon for example, finally getting on the plane to for your honeymoon, gazing into the eyes of your better half, when your child was born or when you were on that beautiful beach with your friends, Malibu Orange in one hand, a cigar in the other. What do you feel now? If you are like me, you will sense that longing in your heart to feel that feeling again, you will feel that at that moment, you were truly happy and satisfied. No? er... maybe you have different priorities and needs in life. For me, these are the kind of moments that I truly treasure and savor.

What I'm trying to say in this post is what many other bloggers have said before, I just want to add a more mental picture so you can feel what I'm trying to say. Most things that you buy, say hand phones, new clothes, new car, new laptops and all other consumer products will only bring about a very short lived happiness. After a while, you wont even remember that tiny spike in happiness that occurred when you made that purchase. If that is the case, why not invest your money on providing yourselves and your loved ones with experiences instead?

Experiences don't have to cost a lot, but even if they do, in my opinion, I think they are worth it if it's with the people you love. Instead of buying that new phone, bring your parents or family on short trip, take many photos, laugh and have senseless fun. I'm sure everyone will remember the occasion for years to come.

So this week, think of how you can create experiences which will provide lasting happiness instead of buying another product that will only present you momentary satisfaction.

As always, save more, spend less on material stuff and invest wisely.
P.

2 comments:

  1. Hi RSG,

    I think you're biased, haha :) You only look at experiences which do not cost a lot. These are well and good of course, but there are also experiences that costs money and is worth it too. For example, I would want to stay in the most luxurious hotel in the world, even if it's only for a night, because it'll be a good experience. I would like to go to a Michelin star restaurant to have a taste of the best food in the world, and decide for myself if it's worth a second try.

    Anyway, I used to be like you...think I've mentioned it dozen of times. I hope you'll be different when you add a few more years of life and realised that retirement isn't about a single-minded pursuit towards an end goal. It's a journey and some might drop off before reaching that journey :) Good to hedge it by taking bits of enjoyment here and there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Papillion, I see where you are coming from. In fact I sort of have a bucket list of the things i want to do before I die. Surprisingly, almost 50% of them would cost quite a fair bit of money. And also, even if I wanted, which I do not, my wife would never allow the hermit lifestyle. LOL =)

    ReplyDelete