Friday 17 May 2013

My Fears Related to Early Retirement

I have often wondered how would people around me feel or perceive me should I tell them that I will be retired before the age of 40. Most would just assume that I either struck the lottery, inherited a massive amount of wealth or that I command a massive paycheck. All these are not true. Early retirement, for me is gained by saving hard, cutting the amount of money I spend and also taking the effort and time to find the correct stocks and bonds to purchase.

I also have this fear that should I retire early, especially in Singapore, many would see me and those like me as lazy. Questions would start flooding in, from both relatives and friends. "Why don't you continue working to earn more money?". " Why are you doing non constructive stuff". "Why are you no longer a productive member of the society?" .... So many whys. Well, @!$!@4 you that's why. Just kidding.

I seek early retirement because I do not want to work the best part of my life away. There is only a finite amount of things you need to purchase in life. I want to live, do the things I want to do while I am able. I want to be able to travel without fear of work piling up while I'm away. I want to be able to have a 2 hour lunch followed by a 1 hour stroll and not a 1 hour lunch. I want to be able to take the lessons and courses I have been wanting to take but have no time for. French, bike, diving and powerboat. All these things and many more. You get my drift.

Working will usually drain you of your energy, and at the end of the day, all you want to do is laze on the couch and watch some TV. Is that how you want to live you life till you are 65? I damn well do not.

Therefore, I have come to a conclusion. I will only care what the people directly affected by my early retirement think - A.K.A. My wife and future children. I feel that as long as we are happy, and my wife and I are able to provide for all our and future children's needs, other people can say anything they want and not mean a thing to me.

You know yourself best. If you have set an intended course, do not let anyone sway you from it. Many will sway you out of jealousy. Do not be brought down by their petty remarks. As long as you and your family are happy and contented, nothing else really matters.

Phwoar..really needed to let that out because it has been bugging me for quite some time. Sorry for the rant.

Anyway, as always, Save more, Spend Less and Invest Wisely.
P.

5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Always a bunch of naysayers out there to gloat over your failures or success. I agree, ignore them. On the other hand, I don't see retirement as a age thing. You can say that I'm semi-retired now even..because I get to do the things that I want to without the restriction of being location-bound due to a job. I work a bit, I play a bit and I enjoy my semi-retirement all in one day's worth of time.

    Find a job that you like and you'll never have to work again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I am seeking early retirement too and I really agree with your argument. As long as those affected by your decision have been taken care of, there's no need to bother about what others think. Not everyone knows the value of time =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, glad to see like minded people out there. I hope you are able to achieve yours soon. Although its never soon enough. =)

      Delete
  3. I am 40 and have not been working for the past 3years, I invest in REITS and collect rental. I trade the stock market and experince the up & down daily. I agree with RetireSG a lot of them see me as lazy, but sometime I think they are being jeoulous of us!
    I enjoy reading your post, keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie, thanks for the compliments. Anyway, I think its the darker side of human nature, we scorn and make fun of stuff we cannot get or achieve so as to make ourselves feel better. Like when we were younger, I guess guys always make fun of girls they like..something like that. Really awesome that you have managed freedom by 40. I got to really put in a lot more effort to do so by then. Respect.

      Delete