Saturday 27 April 2013

Are you commited to your cause? Hear no Evil, See no Evil.

Good morning everyone, its finally Saturday. What a relief after such a long week at work.. Thankfully there are only 4 of those next week.

So...What is everyone planning to do later? What??? Window shopping at the mall? (HisssSsSsS!!!)... Just kidding. Anyway, have you ever wondered how committed you are to your cause? How much temptation or peer pressure can you resist to in order to get to where you want to be faster?

To me, I have never felt the need on spend on most, i repeat MOST consumer goods. My only kryptonites being the latest gadgets and drinking. I kind of understand the obsession my wife, C has over shoes and bags and clothes and jewelry and wallets and macaroons and... did i mention shoes(100 pairs...OMG..WTH... FML..feel free to add any other abbreviations.)

On second thoughts i realize that i don't. How can someone be obsessed with so many different things..erm.. ok, enough of my rants.. back to the topic.

I'm very sure that many of us who have made the decision to retire early would have set a goal or goals as to how much they must save a week, a month or a year. In order to attain that early retirement, we would have to strictly adhere to this goal and not waiver as every waiver would cause that much awaited retirement date to be pushed further and further.

We must not give in to the temptation of buying these wants, and if we really do, we must not impulse buy only to realize 2 weeks after that we don't really want that item at all. What i normally do is procrastinate ( naturally gifted in the art of procrastination). This is one of the only few scenarios is life whereby procrastination serves a good purpose. I would start by reading reviews, scouring Cnet for bad review(while secretly hoping to find none). Then i would talk to my wife about it, weighing the reasons as to whether i really do need the items or not. and finally going to a few thousand shops to view the item multiple times - I Kid.....you...not.

The outcome usually turns out the same, i realize that i don't really want the item. ( Mainly because i procrastinate so long that the next version comes along..and my wandering eyes...wander..) On the other hand, when after all the procrastination and pondering and I still want the item..I would then purchase it. With money on hand and not on credit.

That said, as i grow older, I feel that my priorities are changing. I do not feel the need to buy so often anymore. I now shift my focus more towards experiences rather than on consumer products. I would want to learn and experience new things. Learn a new language, a new skill, go hiking and so on. I am beginning to feel less need of material things. I kinda like this change and hope that one day, my other half - that shopaholic, with her morbid obsession to buy - will share my views in life.

Any suggestions as to help her see things my way without counseling will be welcomed! I'll buy you an 8 course meal at a top restaurant if it works.. yes..I'm pretty desperate. =)

ps. you are only as strong as your weakest link.

As always, save more, spend less and invest wisely.
P.


No comments:

Post a Comment