Wednesday 24 April 2013

My Checklist for Retirement

Since i have decided to document my journey, i feel that it is only right to roughly state where i am on it. Honestly, i am only at the beginning, i would say that I am at about the 10% to 15% point ( I will show my portfolio allocation in a later post). The requirement for me in order to declare myself retired would be that i would have to have completed the following tasks.

  1. Clear my mortgage.
  2. Have an income from different streams equal to a min of all my expenses.
  3. Have $0 debt.
  4. Have an emergency fund of at least 1 year worth of expenses.
  5. Have the min sum in my CPF
Sounds easy when generalized into these 5 point but in reality, not so. I have to continuously work hard at achieving these 5 targets should i want to retire before the age of 45. Why 45 you might ask? I chose this number because based on my calculations, which I will show in a later post, 45 would be the age whereby i can achieve these goals without compromising my current lifestyle too much. ( Wife is a spender, new house, new renovation.. etc etc)

45 is also an age whereby I am not too old to do the things i want to do such as travel, hiking and other such stuff. I would still be physically able to backpack Europe at that point, i dream i can only dream of now.

Clear my mortgage

Not clearing the mortgage during retirement would mean that 2 things, i have an added expenditure that is not within my control( cannot choose not to pay ) and my income would be reduced due to the fact that i will not longer be contributing to CPF thus I will have to pay cash for my mortgage. Not a wise choice.

Have different income streams that equals a minimum of my expenses

I would prefer not to draw down on my investment portfolio as i would like to leave it as a form of inheritance to my children. I would therefore try to create as many streams of income as possible to live on comfortably. Currently, my wife and I are working on several projects which should reap fruit in the near future. If not, we are still young and will learn from our failures and try again.

Have $0 debt

Unlike many who believes in good debt and bad debt, i am one who thinks otherwise. To me, all debt are bad debts as it only means that you are owned by someone either directly or indirectly. At the point of retirement, i do not want the chains of debt binding me. No car debts, no housing debts and definitely no credit card debts.( I always pay my credit card bills on time.)

Have an emergency fund of at least 1 year worth of expenses.

In life, nothing is ever certain, you never know when you will need extra money. I hate to think that i would have to borrow from someone to support my family in times of need. Instead, i will have an emergency fund containing at least one years worth of expenses. This would also be a safety net so i will, hopefully never have to sell my businesses or investments at a downturn to fund my living expenses.

Have the min sum in my CPF

 The reason for this option is purely personal. I feel that having an additional income coming in at the age of 65 would be something to look forward to. This extra stream of income would be gotten by putting the minimum sum from both my wife and I into CPF Life which should provide a nice extra monthly income  for several years. An extra benefit would be that after my wife and I leave this place for a better one, our kids would get whatever is left.( Since the earlier we travel to a better place the more our kids get, i seriously hope they will love us enough not to wish us an early voyage.)

These are my requirements i set for myself before considering myself retired. What are yours? I would love to hear about them so please leave comments.

As always, save more, spend less and invest wisely
P.

2 comments:

  1. You heard it here first. At the rate that you are going, I think you will be able to achieve at least 4 of your 5 goals before you hit 40. I did and I'm just an average joe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey.. I really hope I can do all those before 40. Would be really fantastic. Mind if I ask you age and how old were you when you achieved that? I seldom hear of fellow singaporeans talking much about early retirement as I think there is a negative stigma attached to it.. would love to hear and learn more from you.

    ReplyDelete